The Round of Great Boomer Reads

Once again, this is Boomer Lit Friday. Take a look at A HOOK IN THE SKY, then hop over to the other boomer authors participating in this Blog Hop dedicated to Boomer Lit: click here and have fun discovering this hot new genre!

But what I propose to do now with you will be a little different from the last time. Imagine you enter into a book store and see these two books on the table:



Hey, but that's the same book! Yes, on the left the new cover, on the right the old one. Yet they are both related to the story: the beautiful naked woman is the one Robert, our retiree-turned-artist, has painted with love; the pile of ladders reaching up to a hook is the (symbolic) contemporary art installation Robert has dreamed up and that will cause so much trouble. 

Do let me know in the comments which cover you prefer! Though be warned, if you buy the book now, Amazon will send you the naked woman...

Now for the excerpt. What do you do when you ponder over a book?  I'll tell you what I do. I read the opening paragraph (already presented to you, here) and turn the book over for a quick glance at the back cover:



Then I flip through to the end of the book and read the last lines. Here:


She stopped in front of his canvas.

“Ah, you’re back to painting! Robert, this is beautiful. Is it Bangladesh? I love the emotion, the sadness in their eyes…”

He smiled. “Welcome to my world…”

She hesitated. His world? She looked at the two girls wrapped in their bright colored sarees and smiled at them. Then, with her expression unchanged, she turned to him. “I understand”, she murmured and moved up to him.

He took her in his arms, he smelled her hair. He tightened his embrace, she let herself go, still smiling. A tiny tear welled up in the corner of her eye, just one tear. It felt good to be home.  


The canvas referred to here is this one, two young girls standing in their water-logged fields after a flood (yes, I painted it):


Spoiler alert, I'm not going to tell you who Robert is talking to. Yes, there are three women in his life: his wife Kay, Natasha who's an old childhood friend (half Russian) and Nour, her daughter (half Iranian). Quite a collection! 

Does the book end on a hopeful note? I think so and that indeed, is what I intended. Robert is on a quest to find himself once he's retired, and after a lot of trials and false starts, by the end of the book, he knows who he is, he knows what kind of world he wants to live in, he knows what his world is all about!

If you want to find out what sort of world it is, you'll have to read the book...

Available on Amazon, in e-book and paperback format: click here




Enhanced by Zemanta

Since today is Holy Friday for Christians, allow me to wish you a peaceful and happy Easter!

Comments

Unknown said…
I like the excerpt and I love painting. I much prefer the new cover but I'm fond of graphic-looking designs.
Shelley Lieber said…
Nicely presented, Claude...as always. Thank you for this look "behind the scenes" and into Robert's life.
What you have shared is definitely intriguing. It raises many questions to which the reader will want answers! Regarding the cover, the left cover with the naked lady looks more like the cover for a fascinating novel. The right cover with the large hook actually strikes me as being a great cover for a nonfiction book about writing and concentrating on providing an alluring hook for readers. Okay, that's just me...Thank you for all you do to promote Boomer Lit. We are a force on the move!
Frances Pergamo said…
You are quite talented, Claude! I love the fact that you hooked me with the last lines of the book and didn't give anything away. And thanks for your dedication to our new genre!
Beth Carpenter said…
I like the hook cover better, as I think it is more representative of Robert's life. However the nude is much more eye-catching - the harsh, almost metallic feel of her body is a good likeness of Nour, but not of the story as a whole, IMHO.

I do love the painting of the two girls.
Thanks, Kathleen, yes, I'm also fond of graphic designs...I ran a poll last August to figure out which would be better...They were about equal and I went for the more "intellectual" one but it turned out to be a mistake. People like more suggestive covers rather than clever intellectual games...
Thanks, Shelley...but I got to the last page, ha ha! Can't think for the moment of anything else to present next Friday, LOL!
Yes, Marie Anne, I WAS hoping it would be intriguing...Interesting what you say about the right cover, I never thought of it before but you're right, it does seem to fit better a non-fiction work...And yes, we are a force on the move, not just because of me but because of ALL of you!
Frances...I must confess here that I had to delete a line that gave away which one of the three women Robert was addressing! But thanks for the thanks! As I said before, we're all together in this, what you do to spread the word about Boomer Lit is equally important...
Thanks Beth, you're right of course, that's why I went for the hook cover...but it definitely had less commercial appeal! And Nour, after all, is only one of the 3 women in Robert's life! And...glad you like the Bangladesh painting!
Anonymous said…
I thought you had decided on the nude for the cover. I like it a lot, but yes, it is only indicative of a portion of the book. I like how you've done this here, with your book back and the last lines. Since I read it, I know what's going on and agree that the ending is hopeful. The painting of the two girls is quite breath-taking. You have captured a lot of emotion in their young faces.
John Klawitter said…
Do you think for your next book you might continue the adventures of Robert or will you go on to something else?
I prefer the cover with the nude too. It made me take a second look, plus I imagine it shows up better than the white background in online posts.
Thanks Lynn, your comments make me so happy! Indeed, the cover now is the nude even though some people (in my family!) preferred the more sedate ladders and hook...
John, I've already set it all up - it's going to be published tomorrow or Monday: a Boomer lit Sci-Fi! Called 2213: YOUNG FOREVER, it's a serial novel à la WOOL, set in a future where the problem of aging has been solved by medical science. The catch: only One Percenters can afford the extremely expensive Age Prevention Program...Part One, called I WILL NOT LEAVE YOU BEHIND presents the excruciating quandary of a beautiful woman who's 122 years old and learns her time is up, she's going to die within the next 10 hours...but she's in love with a handsome 99Percenters, a ski instructor who's a dashing 40 years old and doesn't know her age, They are madly in love, he always thought they'd age happily together...

So the issue of aging and how you handle it will be at the heart of this serial novel - thus making it Boomer lit!

As to Robert...I'll leave him painting!
Yes, it does, that's another reason to go for the nude... thank you for your thoughtful comment!
Anonymous said…
Claude, I think this is your best Boomer Lit Friday post to date! You not only gave an intriguing look into your characters, but for someone who hasn't read your book, I believe you were very enticing! Since I have read it, I can say that I did feel the ending was hopeful, but poignant at the same time. That said, I once again vote on the nude woman cover. It stands out in the crowd and, let's face it, sex sells! I do believe your nude painting cover will sell more books. And, a little personal remark here, I think most of us can say, as writers, that we have had (how shall I say this tactfully?) mixed signals from some of our family members!? We have to do what we think is right for our book(s). Cheers to you, Claude!
Marsha, thanks so much for the hmmm...tactful support! Yes, I like the nude cover better too. And yes, you're right, the ending is poignant...If you've read the book and you had the first edition in your hands, then you know that this is not quite the ending of the second edition: indeed, I've revised it, making the ending more explicit because I noted that many people seemed to have misunderstood it, judging from some of the reviews. I pay a lot of attention to reviews, indeed, I believe we writers can learn a lot from our readers' reviews! So now, anyone buying it will read what is here in this post, while others will only have read the ending down to the sentence, "Welcome to my world!" and nothing more. Yet, in my mind's eye, that is what happens: he takes her in his arms...So I had to do justice to that and produce a revised edition!
Unknown said…
Claude, as always, a great snippet. Robert's an intriguing man. It's been a crazy year for me so far, with a lot of family "events." I've only read 8 books this year, but half have been Boomer Lit. A Hook in the Sky is definitely next.

How exciting to have your next novel on the launch pad. I can't imagine where you find the time. And, yes. The new cover get's my vote.
Thanks D.R., sounds like you're a very busy man! And I'm so happy my A Hook in the Sky is going to be your next read. As of today, if you buy it, you'll get the new revised edition, with the ending as presented here (plus an additional sentence that I took out here because it revealed which of the three women in his life Robert is actually taking in his arms!)

Yes, my next novel, 2213:FOREVER YOUNG, Part One: I WILL NOT LEAVE YOU BEHIND is out today - it's a serial novel à la WOOL, Part Two is coming out in May but I haven't started the marketing yet. I know that's wrong, one should plan ahead but I'm hopeless at that sort of thing. So much of my time is taken up with running this blog (which as you may have noted has plenty of content going far beyond my books)and of course participating as actively as I can in the Goodreads Group discussing Boomer Lit: after all, I launched the Group back in October 2012 and I feel responsible! Plus the Group's Boomer Lit Facebook Page which so far has been very hard to get off the ground, I don't know why. It seems many of our Group's members are not on FB or don't care, yet it would be key to attract the attention of publishers! And I won't even mention my work on the Twitter account @boomerlit...Sigh!